Let’s Do Our Part!
At Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery, we care about the environment and need your help to divert as much material from going into the landfill.
By utilizing our recycling programs and placing the proper items in each container, you are doing your part in decreasing contamination and reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the landfill.
Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery and the cities are working together to put all the pieces in place for this exciting new program. We will keep all of our customers apprised of that schedule, but as of now, multifamily and residential properties will not begin to compost until 2023.
Our goal is to make this easy for you!
When in Doubt, Find Out!
Our Recycle Resource Tool helps you get your containers right.
Click on the magnifying glass 🔎
to the right and type in the item, and we will tell you what container to place it in. If we cannot collect an item, we will do our best to point you in the right direction.
Search tip — Keep material look-up general. For example, rather than searching the number on that plastic item, try entering the item in a generic form such as a soda bottle or milk jug.
Blue: Recyclables ONLY
Recycling has Changed. We Need to Change with it.
Please only place acceptable, clean, empty, and dry items loosely in your recycle cart.
• Paper: Cardboard, newspaper, copy paper, colored paper, chipboard (cereal and snack boxes), paper bags, shredded paper (in paper bags), windowless envelopes, non-glossy paper, manila folders.
• Plastics: Rigid #1-5 & #7 containers. Soda, water, shampoo, and conditioner bottles, milk, bleach, laundry softener, and detergents jugs.
• Glass: Colored and clear liquor and wine bottles, food, and baby food jars.
• Aluminum & Tin: soda, vegetable, tuna, and pet food cans, foil, pie pans.
Green: Yard Waste ONLY
From the Earth, Back into the Earth.
The landscape material collected by our trucks is taken to a compost facility and turned into enriched soil.
• Yard Trimmings: Brush, branches (less than 4′ in length and 6″ in diameter), lawn and plant clippings, shrubbery, twigs, weeds, wood chips.
Black or Brown: Garbage ONLY
End-of-Life Items Only.
Please only place items that are no longer usable. Donate items that are in good shape or working condition. Please bag your items before placing them inside your cart or bin.
• Plastics: Coffee pods, utensils, straws, storage bags, gloves, saran, food-soiled containers.
• Paper: Windowed envelopes, glossy paper: magazines, ads, postcards, and junk mailers.
• Glass and Ceramics: Windows and mirrors, stemware, dinnerware.
• Packaging and Wrappers: Food packaging: chip and snack bags, candy and individual serving, saran, and bubble wrap, foam products: cups, food containers, peanuts.
• Food Scraps: Bones, shells, bread, grains, pasta, dairy products, fruits, meats, seafood, food scraps, raw and cooked spoiled food.
• Food Solid Paper: Napkins, paper towels, paper-based take-out containers, pizza boxes.
• Miscellaneous: Palm fonds, hoses, wires, diapers, kitty litter, animal waste.
E-Waste & Hazardous Waste are Too Toxic for Your Collection Containers.
For the safety of our employees and communities, please do not place batteries, cell phones, laptops, other electronics, or hazardous waste inside your collection containers.
• Batteries and electronics (E-Waste) require a separate truck to transport safely. Please contact our office or visit your city-specific page for pick-up options.
• Hazardous Waste such as automobile and household batteries, polishers, cleaners, solvents, chemicals, automobile fluids, pesticides, and other corrosive and toxic items can be brought to your local hazardous waste collection facility. Please contact your facility below for more information, including eligibility requirements.